Tuesday 21 May 2013

Presenting a Wild Pelmet

Presenting the wraps first. I had a ball tying bits onto the strings to make them more interesting. The beads are beads and the rings are seashells with their middle bits worn out. They are abundant on our shores.


My sister-in-law has birthday today. She has unwrapped her present, I have checked. When I asked for an idea for a birthday present, she wanted to have a pelmet for one of her kitchen windows to hang from the upper edge. There was then a LOOOOONG list of colours this pelmet should include. I think I managed to cram them all in.

The other present  contained a pencil case/make-up bag, which was an alternative wish. As I had some ready made, I thought I would be generous and fulfil both wishes.

Here is the whole pelmet. Due its shape, it was quite tricky to get a picture of.


The details bit by bit




I know, I know. This pelmet is suitable window dressing for a five year old or somebody past fifty...I promise, this is very much her style. I was told to make an eye-catching piece. I don't think there is much to say about the techniques, the pictures say it all. If you have questions, please ask. The only new technique for me was couching used in the plant stem. It is made by sewing strings of embroidery floss onto the fabric. I used machine. A hand stitched would have been even nicer, but I was a bit short of time

5 comments:

Tuire Flemming said...

Terveisiä Suomesta - pitkästä aikaa! Ihana tuo "pelmetti" ;) hih, mikähän on suomeksi... Mutta olenkin yli viidenkympin, joten voin tykätä rauhassa!
Katselin myös kateellisena kasvihuone- ja puutarhakuviasi. Sielläpäin on tuo taimikasvatuskin helpompaa, kun ei niin tarvitse pelätä yöpakkasia kesäkuulle asti...
Tosin mulla tämä pieni, pohjoiseen päin oleva rivitalopiha asettaa muitakin rajoituksia. Eilen ruukkuihin istuttelin kaikenlaista ja hikoilin auringossa - tänään sitten tihuuttaakin taas vettä...
Terveisin
Tuire

Humppa said...

Tosi kaunis ja mitä yksityiskohtia, ihania lintuja ja värejä! :) Aurinkoista kesää!

Mama Elf said...

Tuire: eikö se ole kappa? Kirjoitin vastauksen ajat sitten, mutta näköjään bloggeri söi sen jotenkin...Kohta pian näytän kuinka mulla on viidakko kasvutunnelissa.

Humppa: Kiitos ja hyvää kesää ja toivottavsti se vauva pian pulahtaa maailmaan.

Maria said...

Upea kappa, aivan ihana!
Meillä on tästä kankaasta verhot lapsen huoneessa: http://m.ikea.com/fi/fi/catalog/products/art/40221801/

Aika samat fiilikset, vaan itse tehty on aina itse tehty!

Mama Elf said...

Kiitos Maria! Tämä todellakin oli lahjaksi toivottu ja tehty.